Hanger Hall

Hanger Hall

Hanger Hall interiorThis spectacular two-story brick house, home of Hanger Hall School for Girls, is the most lavish house that remains in the Chicken Hill community. It displays elements of the Queen Anne, Italianate and Eastlake style common to the late nineteenth century. Notable features include the elaborately detailed wraparound front porch, corner tower and richly detailed interior woodworking.

The house was built before the 1890 development of Prospect Park, as the neigborhood was called at the time, by Russian-born immigrant Peter A. Demens. Demens owned a sawmill on the French Broad River and it is likely that the woodworking for the house was produced there.

Mr. Demens owned the house for only two years, and then sold the property to Colonel and Mrs. James H. Rumbough, owners of the Mountain Park Hotel in Hot Springs, NC. The Rumboughs lived there until 1913, at which time it was sold to Miss Ida Jolly Crawley, a Tennessee artist and world traveler who opened the house as a museum. Miss Crawley owned the house until 1946.

 In 1973 it was bought by Asheville's Howard Hanger and since come to be known as Hanger Hall which rents out 8 rooms and houses Hanger Hall School for Girls.


Hanger Hall exterior Hanger Hall exterior
Entry to Hanger Hall
Original Chair
Hanger Hall in the snow